Map
History of Łódź
Links
Gifts and Books
on Łódź
Gallery
Urząd Miasta Łodzi Łódź Turystyczna
 
 
Return to category Museums
« Previous object· Next object »
 
 

Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography

Address:

Plac Wolności 14
91-415 Łódź

Contact details:

Telephone: (+48) 42 632 97 14

Telephone: (+48) 42 632 84 40

Fax: (+48) 42 632 97 14

Web page: www.maie.lodz.pl

Opening hours:

Tue - Sun: 10:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.

Mon - closed

Ticket prices:

Ticket prices:

Normal ticket – PLN 9
Reduced ticket – PLN 6
On Tuesdays, free admission for individual tourists

Description:

The building of the museum was constructed in 1856 as the German-Russian Realschule. It was a two-storey Neo-Renaissance building covered with a mansard hip roof. In 1869, it opened as the Higher School of Crafts teaching medium-level personnel for the textile industry.  In 1884, the building was expanded. Before World War II, it was the seat of the City Office. In 1924-26, the edifice was once again expanded under the supervision of the Lodz architect Wiesław Lisiowski. Finally, the building took the shape of a Classical, dignified, five-storey edifice. In 1945, it became the seat of the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography. It contains exhibits associated with the prehistory of the region (Roman and early Mediaeval relics) as well as the folk culture and ethnography of Lodz. The building has a rich collection of numismatics presented at a permanent exhibition and an interesting presentation of folk rituals within the framework of a permanent exhibition "Grey Like Earth, Colourful Like Memory." Apart from collections documenting the prehistory and folk culture of our country, the museum also has exhibits from Africa, America and Asia.

Photographies: Map: