History of Łódź
Gifts and Books
on Łódź
Urząd Miasta Łodzi Łódź Turystyczna
Return to category Nature
« Previous object· Next object »

Helenów Park


quarter between Północna, Smugowa and Źródłowa streets


Helenów Park (formerly 19 Stycznia Park) was created in mid 19th century. Three brothers: Ludwik, Zenon and Fryderyk, later joined by Karol junior, who inherited a company after the death of their father, Karol Anstadt (in 1874) decided to create a park in the swampy area of the Łódka River valley (there are a number of ponds there). Initially, it was a private park around the industrial areas with a brewery, Anstadts' house and working class houses. The contractor of the project, the same as in the case of a couple of other parks in Lodz (Źródliska II, Julianowski Park) was the Berlin garden company L. Späth. In 1885, it was opened to citizens, but only a few could afford paying the expensive entrance ticket, and so the park became the meeting place of the "upper crust." Historical caves, a concert bowl and a pond have survived. Originally, they used to have a recreational function. Unfortunately, not much has remained of the former glamour of the site, even though it is one of the best maintained parks. For many years, the park (and in particular the ponds) was neglected, before it was thoroughly renovated in the 1990s: the ponds and the alleys were reconstructed, a large playground for children was built and the central alleys were provided with lighting. After World War I, the park was cleaned and opened to the public, and the east part was donated to the "Społem" sports club. There are sports fields and a race track in the east part of the park. The park has coniferous and deciduous trees, many of which are quite old. Five of them are considered to be natural monuments: two pedunculate oaks 320 and  340 cm in perimeter, one common beech 245 cm in perimeter, a red oak 350 cm in perimeter and a common ash 385 cm in perimeter. In 2000, a small area by Smugowa Street with a sports field, tennis tables and chess tables was adjoined to the park.

Photographies: Map: