Map
History of Łódź
Links
Gifts and Books
on Łódź
Gallery
Urząd Miasta Łodzi Łódź Turystyczna
 
 
Return to category Tourist Attractions
« Previous object· Next object »
 
 

"Villas and Palaces" Tourist Trail

Address:


Łódź

Description:

At the beginning of the 19th century Łódź, a small city in the Kingdom of Poland, becomes home for settlers from Silesia, Brandenburg, Saxony, Czech state and Moravia. Huge factories are being built. Smoking brick chimneys and factory towers, looking as powerful as castles, become symbols of Łódź. The industrialists – Poznański, Scheibler, Geyer, Grohman, Biederman, etc. – are making their fortunes, their houses becoming the testimony of their wealth and power. It took only 30 years for the palaces of people like Maksimilian Goldfeder, Juliusz Heinzl, Kindermanns, Schweikerts, Scheiblers and Steinerts to be built on Piotrkowska, the main representative street of the city. In today’s Łódź there are still more than 200 manufacturers’ residences to be admired. The former palaces serve as seats of major public institutions, offices and museums. Their splendor has not vanished at all and their interiors win admiration because of the diversity of forms one can find in them. It is a great idea to take the “Villas and Palaces” tourist trail walk, transfer oneself back to the times of “Ziemia Obiecana” (“The Promised Land”) and rediscover the hidden, beautiful secretes of the city.

 

Oskar Kon’s Villa

61 Targowa, 90-323 Łódź

www: http://www.filmschool.lodz.pl/

Polish National Film, Television and Theatre School

It is a Neo-Renaissance villa, built in 1903, probably based on Franciszek Chełmiński’s design. After 1918, it became the property of the Widzew Factory and the registered office of Oskar Kon, its president. An entrance covered with a portico, supported by two pillars, opens to the residence interior. The richly ornamented and well equipped salons are no longer inside. What is left are the remains of stuccowork, stained-glass windows and wooden floors. The building is owned today by the Leon Schiller National Filmmaking University. The famous stairway, leading up to the school cinema,on which the “Film School” students like Roman Polański, Krzysztof Kieślowski or Andrzej Wajda used to sit, is still inside the building.

 fotokod

Alfred Biedermann's Palace

1/3 Franciszkańska, 91-431 Łódź

It is a factory owner’s palace – its style modernistic with a few classicistic elements – built from 1910 to 1912. The first floor used to serve representative purposes, while the second accommodated the apartments. The interior was decorated by numerous works of art belonging to the Biedermanns family collection. The palace is owned by the University of Łódź today. Apart from lecture halls and classrooms, it features the Museum of the University of Lodz presenting famous teachers’ keepsakes.

 fotokod

Arnold Stiller's Residence

45 Jaracza, 90-249 Łódź

The residence was built, probably according to Hilary Majewski’s design, from 1891 to 1893. Then, it was enlarged between 1899-1901. Its style makes reference to Northern Renaissance and Mannerism. The brick facade contrasts with plaster elements and high mansard roofs are diversified with rich form tops. The first floor

used to accommodate representative quarters such as: a dining room, salons, a library, a smoking room. The second floor housed living rooms. The building was surrounded by a garden the fragments of which can still be seen today.

 fotokod

August Haertig's Palace

236 Piotrkowska, Łódź

The palace was built in an eclectic style between 1895 and 1896, according to Franciszek Che¸miƒski’s design. It is a magnificent example of the late 19th century downtown architecture combining residential and commercial functions. There was a factory cantor on the first floor, whereas the second floor accommodated elegant salons. The precious elements of the interior and equipment – such as: old majolica stoves, stuccowork and paintings - can still be admired today. There used to be a dye house and a fabric finishing shop on the property. Recent renovation works have restored the former luster of the facade and interiors of the palace.

 fotokod

Gustaw Schreer's Villa

48 Narutowicza, 90-135 Łódź

A factory owner’s residence built from 1891 to 1893, according to Gustaw Landau-Gutentger’s design. The building architecture resembles the mature Italian Renaissance. The residential interior is still full of neo-rococo and neorenaissance ornaments. In the vicinity of the villa there used to be a factory building belonging to G. Schreer, where vicugna yarn (usef for instance in stockings)was produced.

 fotokod

Henryk Grohman's Residence

24/26 Tymienieckiego, 90-349 Łódź

www: http://www.book.art.pl/

Museum of Artistic Book

The residence was built from 1892 to 1893, probably according to Hilary Majewski’s design, in a style resembling the Italian Renaissance. The building, erected close toa spinning mill, looks more like a factory than a villa. The entrance hallway and the salon have retained their original interior decorations, expressing the spirit of Vienna Art Nouveau. The ball room and the concert hall, in which the music played by wellknown virtuosos could often be heard, were the most representative places in thehouse. At present, the Artistic Book Museum is located in the building.

opening hours: call +48 502 62 64 66

 fotokod

Herbst's residence

72 Przędzalniana, 90-338 Łódź

Edward Herbst (1844-1921) married Matylda Scheibler in May 1875. He was a promising manager of the largest Łódź textile enterprise, she was the daughter of the maker of its power. Their residence in Księży Młyn, most probably designed by Hilary Majewski, was erected in the same year. Built in the style of Italian Renaissance, the Beat was an element of a larger spatial arrangement comprising: a huge factory complex, a workers' estate and the above-mentioned residence. Following the example of the oldest Scheibler Łódź investment in Wodny Rynek the seat of the director stood in the close vicinity of the factory itself. E. Herbst could hear the hum of his machinery in the nearby spinning-house.

At the same time the Neo-Renaissance villa, situated on the River Jasień differed greatly from the remaining parts of the Księży Młyn estate. It was a closed-up organism, its inner life turned more towards a garden undulating towards a pond, rather than the red-brick spinning-houses. The seat owes its rich interior design to the taste of its owner - among others the English Gothic ball chamber and the exuberant rococo mirror parlour. Their original beauty was blurred by the post-World War 2 devastation and rebuilding. It was only after the object had passed into the hands of the Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź, that restoration and conservation work began in order to bring back its former splendour. The restored interiors now house exposition of the Łódź industrialist world gone by. The other buildings of the Herbst estate - a 'Swiss' -style out-building and a green-house - have been adapted for exhibition purposes. The effort which had restored the Herbst seat to its splendour was recognised in 1990 when the 'Księży Młyn Residence' was awarded the elitist Europa Nostra award.

The residence has remained one of the most interesting and most frequently visited historical sites of the former industrial metropolis. It can also serve as a good example of a new approach to the cultural heritage of the city of Łódź.

 fotokod

Jakub Kestenberg's Residence

26 Sterlinga, Łódź

Erected in 1903, the villa was designed by Franciszek Che¸miƒski as a Neo- Baroque building with Art Nouveau elements. The diversified facade texture, asymmetry and numerous plant ornaments make the villa stand out among austere factory buildings. The function of the building was both commercial and representative. On the first floor there were office rooms and on the second one living rooms ornamented with Art Nouveau stuccowork.

 fotokod

Józef Richter’s Villa

10/12 ks. Skorupki, 90-532 Łódź

The residence was built, probably according to Karl Seidl’s design, from 1898 to 1899. Its style makes reference to the Italian Renaissance. On the first floor there are two salons, a dining room featuring a sideboard and a buffet, and a study. A presentable staircase leads up to the second floor where there used to be sleeping rooms, little salons as well as children’s rooms. The basements accomodated a kitchen, a laundry and a place where linen was pressed. Since 1993 the residence has belonged to the Łódź Technical University.

 fotokod

Juliusz Heinzl's Palace

104 Piotrkowska, 90-423 Łódź

www: http://www.uml.lodz.pl/

The palace was designed by Otto Gehlig and erected in 1880. It had served three, distinctive purposes: representative, residential and commercial. It was built in an eclectic style, most of its elements reflecting the Italian Renaissance. The central fragment of the frieze crowning the room has been decorated with three allegorical sculptures of women symbolizing Industry, Commerce and Freedom respectively. There used to be a factory – producing wool fabrics – at the back of the palace. Today, the reconstructed interiors of the palace house the Łódź Municipal Office and the Łódź Voivodship Office.

 fotokod

Juliusz Kindermann's Palace

137 Piotrkowska, Łódź

Juliusz Kindermann's palace is renowned for a beautiful mosaic decorating its facade and well preserved interiors. It was built in 1907 according to the project of an Austrian architect Karl Seidl for a wealthy owner of the cotton factory. A plain facade is sparingly decorated, it only has a bay window, a balcony and rusticated ground floor.

Therefore a beautiful mosaic with scenes reverting to the transport of cotton from a Russian port draws attention. The light coming from a large window with art Nouveau colourful stained glass windows showing landscape pictures illuminates the staircase. In the rooms on the first floor dainty furniture, mantelpieces, inlaid wainscot and furniture preserved.

 fotokod

Karol Scheibler's Palace

1 Zwycięstwa, 90-312 Łódź

www: http://www.kinomuzeum.pl/

Museum of Cinematography

The building was erected in 1855 as a plain, one floor house. Its final, presentable appearance resulted from a reconstruction taking place from 1884 to 1886, designed by Edward Lilpop. It used to belong to Karol Scheibler, the greatest Łódź industrialist. The Neo-Renaissance façade stands in contrast to the richness of the eclectic interior. First floor rooms (a mirror room, a dining room, the owner's study) are representative in their character. The second floor used to house living rooms and a terrace. There was a green square behind the house. Today the palace houses the Cinematography Museum.

opening hours: Tue: 10 am - 5 pm, Thu: 11 am - 6 pm, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun: 9 am - 4 pm,

phone: +48 42 674 09 57

 fotokod

Leon Rappaport's Residence

44 Rewolucji 1905 r., Łódź

One of the most interesting factory owners’ houses, built in 1905. From the western side, the shape of the building is made all the more fascinating by a tower decorated with Art Nouveau elements. The interior used to serve residential and administrative purposes. Numerous Art Nouveau decorations, inthe form of floristic wall ornaments, can still be admired nowadays.

 fotokod

Leopold Kindermann’s Villa

31 Wólczańska, 90-607 Łódź

www: http://www.miejskagaleria.lodz.pl/

The villa was designed by Gustaw Landau Gutenteger and built between 1902 and 1903. It is one of the greatest monuments of Art Nouveau architecture in Poland. The irregular, asymmetrical shape of the building is covered with numerous decorations and made more noticeable by a circular tower on the garden side. The pictorial façade is covered with plant and animal motifs. Over the entrance there is a portico supported by two pillars in the form of apple tree trunks. The interiors have been ornamented with stuccowork featuring the motifs of horse chestnut trees, roses, apple trees, irises and poppies. Nowadays the residence houses the Town Art Gallery in ¸Łódź opening hours: Tue, Wed, Fri: 11 am - 5 pm, Thu: 11 am - 6 pm, Sat-Sun: 11 am - 4 pm,

phone: +48 42 632 79 95

 fotokod

Ludwik Meyer's Passageway

3/9 Moniuszki, Łódź

It used to be a private passageway owned by Ludwik Meyer, an industrialist, designed probably by Hilary Majewski and sided by luxurious villas between 1883 and 1885. The street was the first in town to be equipped with electric lighting while the apartments were fixed with gas and water installations.

 fotokod

Maksymilian Goldfeder's Palace

77 Piotrkowska, 90-423 Łódź

The Neo-Renaissance palace was built between 1889 and 1892, according to a design drawn up by Hilary Majewski. It is a very good example of a downtown residence. Until 1920s there used to be M. Goldfeder’s bank house on the first floor and richly decorated salons, equipped with different stylistic elements on the second. The ornamentation has not lost any of its splendor to this day.

 fotokod

Maurycy Poznanski’s Palace

36 Więckowskiego, 90-734 Łódź

www: http://msl.org.pl/

Museum of Art

The palace was probably designed by Adolf Zeligson and erected between 1900 and 1902. Its architecture refers to Renaissance. The massive, concise shape is ornamented with a lot of decorations. The staircase, stained-glass windows and marble stairs have been well preserved. Nowadays the palace houses the Art Museum. The Neo-plastic Room designed by W¸adys¸aw Strzemiƒski is a source of inspiration for new art projects and educational activities conducted by the Museum.

opening hours: Tue-Sun: 12 am - 7 pm, phone: +48 42 633 97 90

 fotokod

Poznański Palace

15 Ogrodowa, 91-065 Łódź

tel.: (+48) 42 654 03 23

www: http://www.muzeum-lodz.pl/

Museum of the City of Lodz

The complex of monumental buildings located at ul. Ogrodowa is one of the most spectacular examples of the power of Lodz’s industry in the “steam era”. A row of giant buildings begins with the mansionof Poznański. Its truly palatial form, exposed position, but also today’s function, make this building perhaps the best known palace in Lodz.

The beginnings of the company date back to the 60’s of the 19th century, when a Jewish merchant Kalman Poznański came to Lodz from Kowal in order to settle there. The magnificent development of the cotton giant took place at the times of his son – Izrael Kalmanowicz (1834-1900). The construction of the original palace in 1890 at the corner of ul. Ogrodowa and Zachodnia, maybe according to the project by Hilary Majewski, is connected with his person. It was still a fairly modest two-storey building, which was quickly replaced by a great residence. The exact author of the concept consisting on building the impressive mansion, which eclipsed the majority of Lodz’s residences with its size and splendor, remains unknown. Perhaps it was Adolf Seligson, a then-popular architect. More recent studies suggest the authorship of J. Jung and D. Rosenthal. The works undertaken at the turn of the centuries led to the creation of the expanded version on the set of letter “L”, which was accompanied by a garden, situated at the back of the building. The southern part, covered with uplifted domed roofs and decorated with statues – allegories of industry, looks particularly magnificently. Originally, the residence was composed also of a “winter garden” with an area of 770 m, located on the first floor and covered with a glass roof. The use of this great building was unusual. In addition to residential functions, it served as a reception and an office. There were also bureaus and warehouses, as well as apartments for important customers of the company. The most representative rooms were placed on the first floor. The Dining Room, in the corner of the building, with marvelous design, is still the most famous place for the balls organized in Lodz. The palace is the seat of the City’s Museum, which apart from the exhibition presenting the history of Lodz, keeps some memorabilia of famous musical virtuosos originating from Lodz– A. Rubinstein and A. Tansman.

 fotokod

Reinhold Richter’s Villa

6/8 ks. Skorupki, 90-532 Łódź

www: http://www.p.lodz.pl/

Technical University of Lodz

The residence was built, according to Ignacy Stebelski’s design, from 1903 to 1904. The architecture of the building makes stylistic reference to the German Renaissance. An ornamented entrance from Ul. Ks. I. Skorupki opens into the interior of the villa. From the hallway it is possible to go to the former representative rooms such as a salon and a dining room, a winter garden and a study. The second floor housed living rooms, little salons and sleeping rooms. A porter’s lodge and an entrance gate were built near the villa. The residence is surrounded by the Bishop M. Klepacz park featuring many precious trees, for example: “Fabrykant” (English: Factory Owner), a monument oak. Today the villa houses the office of the president of the Łódź Technical University.

 fotokod

Robert Schweikert’s Palace

262 Piotrkowska, 90-361 Łódź

www: http://www.ie.lodz.pl/

The palace was built from 1910 to 1912, according to Lew Lubotynowicz’s design. It is a great example of a manufacturer’s residence drawing on Baroque assumptions. This one-floor building, located between a courtyard and a garden, is the seat of the European Institute. The former representative rooms on the first floor – the study, the salon and the dining room – still full of original decorations and equipment pieces, are particularly worth mentioning. The stained-glass window serving as a window in the staircase is very interesting as well. A French style garden with a fountain, a bower and flowerbeds stretches behind the palace.

 fotokod

Scheibler's Family Palace

266/268 Piotrkowska, 91-361 Łódź

The building was erected in 1845 as a one floor, classicistic house. Its representative character and Neo-Renaissance interior decorations were created as a result of numerous reconstructions carried out in the 1880s and 1890s for the Scheibler family. A corner tower covered with a tent helmet was a characteristic feature of the palace. The first floor used to house representative salons, a dining room and a mirror room while the second one served as the residents’ living quarters. To a large extent, the palace interior retained the rich stuccowork decorations full of polychromic and majolica stoves. These days, the building is used by the Łódź Technical University.

 fotokod

The Jarisch's Residence

88 Kościuszki, 90-437 Łódź

This small, elegant villa, owned by Austrian industrialists, was built between 1923 and 1925. The central part of the fa¤ade is characterized by a semicircular,protruding fragment of the building, which is crowned with a six-sided tower. The interior still features beautiful plant stuccowork, a few stained-glass windows and elements of ornamental woodwork. Today, the building is used by the Łódź Municipal Office.

 fotokod

Wilhelm Lurken's Palace

31/33 Tadeusza Kościuszki, Łódź

The palace was designed by Alwill Jankau and built, in a historicism-modernism style, between 1912 and 1913. The first floor used to accommodate offices, there were representative rooms on the second floor, and the third floor housed then owner’s private quarters, sleeping rooms and salons. The richly decorated interior has retained its stuccowork and beautiful stained-glass windows. Lürkens’ factory of knitwear and cotton products was located behind the palace.

 fotokod

Wilhelm Teschemacher's Villa

12A Wigury, Łódź

www: http://lodz.pttk.pl/

It is a Neo-Renaissance building erected between 1890 and 1892. Its architecture resembles the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. The first floor used to house presentable rooms, while the second accommodated the residential premises. The interior art deco parts were created between 1918 and 1939. The orangery is particularly worth seeing as it features a fountain with a mosaic, created by Antonio Salviatti from Venice, placed right over it. At present, the building belongs to PTTK (Polish Tourism Association).

fotokod

Photographies: