History of Łódź
Gifts and Books
on Łódź
Urząd Miasta Łodzi Łódź Turystyczna
Return to category Nature
« Previous object· Next object »

Henryk Sienkiewicz Park


quarter between Kilińskiego, Sienkiewicza and Tuwima streets


The Park named after Henryk Sienkiewicz (initially Mikołajewski Urban Park) was established in 1896 (and opened to the public 3 years later) and it is one of the oldest parks in Lodz (after Źródliska Park and Moniuszki Park). The Park was designed by Teodor Chrząński and Piotr Hoser. To this day, it has the original layout, and the current name was given in 1916, after the writer's death. By Sienkiewicza Street, there is a flower bed with a pool and fountain in the centre. The fountain is decorated with a group of Neo-Baroque sculptures - this part is a French-style garden, and by Kilińskiego Street, there grow monumental trees covered with blooming ivy - typical of an English layout (paysage). An additional attraction of the park is the Natural Museum of the University of Lodz administered by the Institute for Experimental Zoology and Evolutionary Biology of the University of Lodz. The museum presents a permanent exhibition: "The Net of Life" illustrating various beings comprising the animal kingdom. There is also a boulder of 11 metres of perimeter in the park.

Photographies: Map: