History of Łódź
Gifts and Books
on Łódź
Urząd Miasta Łodzi Łódź Turystyczna
Return to category Museums
« Previous object· Next object »

Central Museum of Textiles and Open-Air Museum of Lodz Wooden Architecture


282 Piotrkowska St.
93-034 Łódź

Contact details:

Telephone: (+48) 42 683 26 84

Telephone: (+48) 42 684 61 42

Fax: (+48) 42 684 33 55

E-mail address:

Web page:

Opening hours:

Mon - closed

Tue - Wed 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Thu - Sat 12 noon - 7 p.m.

Sun 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ticket prices:

Ticket prices:
normal – PLN 12
reduced – PLN 8

Admission to the open-air museum is free of charge
Saturday – free admission


The building of one of the first industrial plants in Lodz was erected in 1835-1837 by the Jasień River for Ludwik Geyer, who moved to Lodz from Saxony in late 1820s. At that time, it was the largest cotton spinning mill in the town and in 1839, it acquired the first steam engine in Lodz. The factory is significantly different than other industrial plants erected in the second half of the 19th century in Lodz. It is built in the late Classicist style, has a wooden structure and is covered with white plaster. The rectangular building is unadorned, the only decorative elements being rustication of the ground floor and symmetrically positioned triangular pediments. By the end of the 19th century, the complex was expanded a number of times. In 2008, following large-scale adaptation works, another wing of Geyer's former textile factory was opened as additional exhibition space. Consequently, it was possible to display, for example, rich collections of textile machines that are now set in motion on certain days for the visitors to watch. The museum has one of the biggest collections of modern artistic fabrics in the world. Since 1972, it has been the regular venue of the prestigious International Triennial of Tapestry, the largest and the oldest exhibition of the kind. At the back of the factory premises is located the Open-Air Museum of Lodz Wooden Architecture with typical 19th century buildings, such as weavers' houses, a wooden church relocated from Nowosolna or a suburban summer villa. The buildings constitute a perfect background for the exhibitions of Lodz handicraft in their interiors (Weaver's House, Ceramist's House, Papermaker's House). Both museums organise educational projects and offer a broad range of workshops and lessons for children and teenagers. The museums are entered from Milionowa Street. 

Photographies: Map: